Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Trinity Menu Trinity Search

You are here Study Abroad & Exchange > Outbound > Where Can I Go?

Where Can I Go?

International Exchange & Erasmus Webinars

The International Exchange & Erasmus Information Sessions took place on the 14th and 15th of October 2020. If you have missed the webinars, click on the link below and login with your Trinity credentials to watch the sessions!

Click Here to Watch the Webinars

Trinity has collaborations with some of the world's leading universities. For Trinity students, this means access to a network of more than 250 exchange opportunities across the globe. How you apply can change depending on where you wish to go - there are a wide variety of opportunities to explore!

Students successful in earning an exchange placement register in Trinity as usual for the relevant period whether for a semester or a year, and as a result do not pay additional tuition to these leading universities worldwide, whether in Holland or Hong Kong!

Whether you decide to embark on an Erasmus exchange within Europe to places like Spain, France or Germany, or go further afield on an International Exchange to destinations like the US, India or Australia, there are plenty of opportunities - from one end of the world to the other!

Have a look at the section below to see which type of exchange best suits your academic needs!

What is Erasmus+?

Erasmus+ is the EU's programme to support education, training, youth and sport in Europe. Since it was established in 1987 more than 5 million higher education students have studied, trained, and gained experience abroad through Erasmus+ in in one of 33 participating European countries.

Trinity has been a very active participant in the Erasmus+ programme since it was launched, and we strongly believe in the educational value of student exchanges, where students participate in learning alongside their peers in universities abroad. The student community in Trinity is truly enriched by having Erasmus students as part of our diverse community for part of their studies.

Studying abroad, for one semester or a full year, is a central part of Erasmus+. While on Erasmus students study at one of Trinity’s 180 European partner universities which has been shown to have a positive effect on students’ later job prospects. It is also a chance to improve language skills, gain self-confidence and independence and immerse yourself in a new culture.

Erasmus+ also offers the chance to carry out a traineeship (work/lab placements, internships, etc.), from 2 to 12 months abroad – even during the Summer, or to combine studying abroad with a traineeship.

Opportunities are available for students at Bachelor, Master or Doctoral levels.

While on Erasmus, students are exempt from paying tuition fees at the host institution and receive financial support from the European Commission to help cover their expenses.

Trinity’s Erasmus Policy Statement can be read here.

Why go on Erasmus?

The academic, cultural, social and personal benefits of participating in an Erasmus are enormous. Feedback from returned students shows that the intellectual challenge of studying/working in a European environment is exceptionally rewarding and that language skills improve dramatically. Employers, in our increasingly internationalised job market, are increasingly on the lookout for graduates who have a demonstrated ability to succeed in an international environment. What better way to demonstrate your global credentials than study abroad in one of Europe’s top universities?

Erasmus Partner Universities

Trinity has Erasmus exchange agreements with around 180 universities in more than 20 countries.

Where you can study abroad on Erasmus is dependent on the subjects you study since most of our Erasmus exchanges are Subject-Specific, though we do have a small number of General agreements. Opportunities are available in almost all subject areas.

Subject-specific exchanges are set up between a particular School or Department here in Trinity and an equivalent at the partner university. They are only open to students studying a degree in that particular School or Department.

With Erasmus exchanges you have much better certainty that the university you go to will offer courses suitable to your degree, as this is an agreement your School or Department has established with their students in mind.

Applications may also be less competitive as you will only be competing against other students from your School or Department.

Erasmus isn’t just for language students - in fact, fewer than half of Trinity students on Erasmus exchanges are studying on language degrees and we have a number of exchange partners where students may study in English.

Of course, if you do have skills in a language other than English, this may open up even more options for you!

Thanks to Trinity’s membership of various networks and consortia, students are also permitted to apply to go on Erasmus under the terms of General exchanges, which are open to almost any student whose degree permits study abroad and who can find a suitable course combination. Some restrictions apply. The Coimbra Group’s Student Exchange Network is open to almost all Trinity students and ELAN, the European Liberal Arts Network has an exchange open to all students from the Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences. Students of the School of Engineering can take advantage of exchange opportunities thanks to Trinity’s memberships in the prestigious UNITECH and CLUSTER networks.

You can take a look at Trinity’s Erasmus Partners by reading the PDF here.

What is International Exchange?

International exchanges, also known as College-wide’ exchanges, are open to eligible students at Trinity. They are exchanges with universities outside Europe, so if you’re interested in studying in the USA, in Canada, in China, Hong Kong, Singapore or other such destinations these are the exchanges for you! It is important to check in with your School to know whether you are eligible for a "College Wide" exchange programme, and in what year you should expect to apply (usually second year but for some students' applications are made in third year). Trinity’s international exchanges are academically competitive and allow students to demonstrate their initiative, flexibility, and willingness to adapt to new cultures – all of these skills are hugely transferrable to a work context after exchange, and are highly valued by employers!

We strongly encourage students thinking of going on an international exchange to investigate and research all of their options before choosing which exchanges to apply to. While international exchanges can be integrated into many degree pathways, there are some restrictions for students studying Law or General Science. These exchanges are also not suitable for students in the Health Sciences. Students in these subjects: don’t despair! Talk to your Departmental Co-ordinator about the options in these fields, as you can still often spend time overseas through ‘Departmental Exchanges’ or other international placements.

Student Voices

For anyone who is on the fence about studying abroad I cannot recommend it enough that you give it a chance. You will see incredible places, experience different cultures and meet some awesome, like-minded people. Travelling is the best form of education there is, and I cannot wait to see what the coming months have in store in Hong Kong and in Asia!
Daryl Egan, Hilary Term Business School Exchange to the Chinese University of Hong Kong

International Exchange Partner Universities


University of Melbourne

University Name
  • University of Melbourne
Website(s) Additional Material Semester Dates
  • Semester 1, 2019 (February-June)
  • Semester 1 teaching period: Monday 4 March - Sunday 2 June
  • Non-teaching period: Friday 19 April - Sunday 28 April
  • Semester 1 Exam Period: Monday 3 June - Friday 28 June**

  • Semester 2, 2019 (July-December)*
  • Semester 2 teaching period: Monday 29 July - Sunday 27 October
  • Non-teaching period: Monday 30 September - Sunday 6 October
  • Semester 2 Exam Period: Monday 28 October - Friday 22 November

  • Semester 1, 2020** (February-June)
  • Semester 1 teaching period: Monday 2 March - Sunday 31 May
  • Non-teaching period: Good Friday 10 April - Sunday 19 April

  • Semester 2, 2020 (July-December)
  • Semester 2 teaching period: Monday 27 July to Sunday 25 October
  • Non-teaching period: Monday 28 September to Sunday 4 October

  • For more details on the exam period, orientation and welcome days, please see the full calendar for 2019-2020 on page 18 in the Melbourne Study Abroad and Exchange 2019 Brochure Whereas the dates will differ for the 2020/21 intake, these dates will give you a general sense of the academic calendar at UMelb.
  • *Please note that ALL Study Abroad and Exchange students should plan to be in Melbourne until they complete all required assessment items. In the unlikely event that you are offered a special exam due to extenuating circumstances such as medical illness, you may be offered to re-sit the exam during the University's supplementary exam period. The supplementary exam period dates can be found here. If you have been offered a supplementary exam, University policy requires students to be available to attend the examination in Melbourne.
  • Note, the University of Melbourne does not make exceptions for students to sit exams at home invigilated.
  • **The dates for 2020 are provisional.
  • You must be in Melbourne ready to attend Briefing Day . If you can't make it to Briefing Day, you must seek prior approval to arrive late. You must contact the University of Melbourne office via to advise of your difficulties and request permission to arrive late.
  • Please note: Late arrival is not always approved, and if you cannot arrive before semester starts, you may be asked to defer your study to the following semester.
  • If your late arrival is approved, you will need to make arrangements to meet with an Education Abroad Advisor when you arrive.
  • Please see here for orientation and briefing day dates.
Academic Requirements
  • As well as being approved by your home institution for an Exchange or Study Abroad program, you'll also need to meet academic eligibility, English language and faculty-specific requirements to gain entry to our undergraduate and graduate subjects.
  • Please note that for elite athletes on exchange, you'll also need to meet all entry requirements mentioned to be eligible to apply for the elite athletes program Interchange.
  • You need to have completed two semesters of full-time tertiary study outside Australia at the time of entry to the University of Melbourne.
  • The University of Melbourne requires a 'C' average in the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) or higher from European countries.
  • For more information on all of these requirements, please make sure to have a look at the following link:
Course Load
  • You are required to take three to four subjects (per semester) while at Melbourne to equal a total credit load of 37.5 to 50 points (each subject is usually worth 12.5 credit points).
  • While you may have fewer contact hours than in your home institution, the demands placed on you to learn independently outside the classroom makes the workload equivalent to that which most students experience at home.
  • For each subject, you usually attend a combination of large lectures and small group tutorials or laboratory classes. Contact hours vary depending on the subjects you choose, but are usually between 12–18 hours per week.
  • As long as you meet the prerequisite requirements, you can combine these from any area. For example, you could take two subjects in science, one in business and one in arts. Of all the subjects listed in the University Handbook, there are only a few specialist areas that are not open to exchange and study abroad students. These include medicine, dentistry, health sciences, veterinary science and film and television. Some biomedicine and law subjects are also restricted.
  • While you may have fewer contact hours than in your home institution, the demands placed on you to learn independently outside the classroom makes the workload equivalent to that which most students experience at home.
  • To see how this course load is converted at Trinity, please familiarise yourself with the Grade Conversion Table.
Course Availability and Enrolment Options Restrictions to Study
  • There are a few specialist areas that are not open to exchange and study abroad students. These include medicine, dentistry, health sciences, veterinary science and film and television. Some biomedicine and law subjects are also restricted.
  • There are restrictions in Drama, Film and Biomedicine. Students from these disciplines should only apply for this exchange if they have discussed these restrictions with their Departmental Coordinators and have their express permission. This must be made clear on your application.
  • There are specific application requirements for certain disciplines including Education, Engineering, Psychology, Science and Music.
  • Some subjects have prerequisites. You can find these on every course page and in the University of Melbourne Handbook
  • The University of Melbourne offers exchange and study abroad students a range of accommodation options to suit different personalities, budgets and lifestyles. A detailed guide is available on the UMelb website and they have a full-time staff member assisting incoming exchange and study abroad students:
  • The University also has a fantastic online noticeboard which allows University of Melbourne students (or soon to be students) to search for shared housing.
  • To read more about accommodation at UMelb, you can also refer to page 7 of the Melbourne Study Abroad and Exchange 2019 Brochure
Estimated Costs of Living
  • You can also find more information on the cost breakdown on page 15 of the Melbourne Study Abroad and Exchange Brochure
  • You should consider the following expenses when planning to study overseas:
  • Tuition fees
  • Living costs
  • Visa application fee
  • Overseas Student Health Cover
  • (OSHC) – a requirement of the Australian Government
  • Personal spending, including travel to and around Australia
Additional Information
  • #1 in Australia
  • #32 in the world
  • Safe, friendly and multicultural
  • World's most liveable city 2011-2017
  • More cafes and restaurants per number of people than any other city in the world World-class shopping
  • Mild and temperate climate (summer average: 27 degrees celsius, winter average: 13 degrees celsius - so essentially like the Irish summer!)
  • State capital of Victoria
  • Museums, galleries and theatres at your doorstep
  • Sporting capital of the world
  • You need to arrange your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) in order to receive your student visa, as this is a condition of the Department of Home Affairs.
  • It could be the University of Melbourne preferred provider (Bupa) or your own choice of provider.
  • If you arrange your own OSHC through a different provider you must include evidence of your insurance when you accept your offer. It is important that your OSHC matches your visa length; where it is shorter, the Department of Home Affairs may reduce your visa duration to match your period of OSHC cover.
  • It is your responsibility to check and comply with all student visa requirements.
  • For more information about the OSHC please see the following link:

Australian National University

University Name
  • Australian National University
Website(s) Semester Dates
  • Semester Dates 2019
  • Semester 1: Monday 25 February - Friday 31 May
  • Semester 2: Monday 22 July – Friday 25 October
  • Semester 2 examination period: Thursday 31 October - Saturday 16 November

  • Semester Dates 2020
  • Semester 1: Monday 24 February - Friday 29 May
  • Semester 2: Monday 27 July - Friday 30 October
  • Suggested arrival dates: early February (for semester 1) and early July (for semester 2)
Course Load (including ECT conversion) Course Availability and Enrolment Options Restrictions to Study
  • Visual arts and digital arts courses taught in the School of Arts require submission of a portfolio for entry
  • Music courses taught in the School of Music require performance tape for entry
  • Law courses are only available to students in a Law program at their home university (excepting that LAWS3103 and LAWS3104 which are available to non-law students)
  • Internship courses ( ANIP) require an additional special application to the Australian National Internships Program in addition to the online exchange application
  • Engineering courses are only available to students in Engineering and some Physics programs
  • Business and economics courses. Students not enrolled in an economics, finance or business degree at their home university may only include one course from the College of Business and Economics in their program
  • 4000 level honours courses are not available to visiting students (except some ENVS, ENGN, LAWS courses)
  • Graduate courses (6000-8000) are not available to undergraduate students
Additional Notes
  • #1 in Australia
  • #1 most liveable city in the world according to OECD Index 2017
  • #3 best city in the world, according to Lonely Planet 2018
  • #22 best student city in the world, according to 2018 QS Ranking
  • Within close proximity to Parliament House
  • Shortest commute time in Australia
  • 2 hours drive from the snow and the coast!
  • 25% of Canberra population are students
  • 15 ANU subjects are ranked top 25 in the world, QS World Rankings 18/19
Estimated Cost of Living Accommodation
  • Accommodation is guaranteed for incoming exchange students.”
  • ANU has a number of accommodation options available from catered to self-catered and individual dorms to multi-share apartments. The type of accommodation that you want will impact on the cost you are looking at. Click here to browse ANU Accommodation options.
  • Please note, applying for accommodation at ANU is a separate process from applying for exchange or study abroad program. Apply through ANU accommodation portal here.
  • ANU advises that Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is a compulsory requirement for obtaining an Australian student visa. In 2019, the cost for one semester (6 months coverage) is $330 and the cost for two semesters (15 months coverage) is $771. For further information, see here for more information on the OSHC.

The University of New South Wales

University Name
  • The University of New South Wales
Website(s) Semester Dates
  • UNSW has recently introduced an innovative calendar, called 3+ that allows you to select the best study plan for you. It features three terms per year plus intensive programs in January and August. Your study plan determines the terms and therefore the length of your stay at UNSW.
  • You have the flexibility to build your Study Abroad or Exchange program based on the number of credits you need to transfer back to your home institution. The full time academic load at UNSW is 48 UNSW credits (60 ECTS) per year, which is usually taken over 8 courses.
  • For semester-based programs, you have the choice of 18 UNSW credits (3 courses, 22.5 ECTS) over a standard Term, or 24 UNSW credits (4 course, 30 ECTS) over a Tailored Term. Depending on your home institutions agreement, you may also be able to take a unique 5 or 6 course option (37.5 or 45 ECTS).
  • To start planning your Exchange at UNSW we recommend you determine the number of courses you need to take and the duration of your UNSW Study. The number of terms and therefore the length of your stay at UNSW is your study plan.
  • For more information on which tailored plan works best for you, please see the UNSW website which shows you what options are available to you based on the number of courses you will be taking: or you can also find more information on tailoring your term on pages 14 -17 in the UNSW 2020 Study Abroad and Exchange Guide
  • Below, please find all the semester dates for January Term, Term 1, Term 2, August Term and Term 3:
  • * Orientation is compulsory for all incoming Study Abroad and Exchange Students. Students commencing in the January or August Terms only need to attend the orientation in those terms.

    January Term (JT)

    Year 2019 2020
    Orientation* 7 Jan 7-9 Feb
    Teaching Period 6 Jan 6 Jan-7 Feb

    Term 1

    Year 2019 2020
    Orientation* 14 Feb 13 Feb
    Teaching Period 18 Feb - 1 May 17 Feb - 28 Apr
    Study period 2 May - 4 May 29 Apr - 1 May
    Exams 6 May - 18 May 2 May - 16 May

    Term 2

    Year 2019 2020
    Teaching Period 3 Jun - 13 Aug 1 Jun - 10 Aug
    Study period 14 Aug - 16 Aug 11 Aug - 13 Aug
    Exams 17 Aug - 31 Aug 14 Aug - 29 Aug

    August Term (AT)

    Year 2019 2020
    Orientation* 15 Aug TBC
    Teaching Period 19 Aug - 13 Sept TBC

    Term 3

    Year 2019 2020
    Orientation* 12 Aug 10 Sep
    Teaching Period 16 Sep - 25 Nov 14 Sep - 23 Nov
    Study period 26 Nov - 28 Nov 24 Nov - 26 Nov
    Exams 29 Nov - 14 Dec 27 Nov - 12 Dec
Additional Information Course Load (including ECT conversion)
  • 18 UNSW Credits per Standard Term (Typically 3 courses) – equivalent to 22.5 ECTS
  • 24 UNSW Credits per Tailored Term (Typically 4 courses) – equivalent to 30 ECTS
  • 48 UNSW Credits per Year (Typically 8 courses) – equivalent to 60 ECTS
Course Availability and Enrolment Options
  • You can study almost any course at UNSW (subject to availability) as long as you have the required background knowledge and approval from Trinity. A complete list of courses can be found in the UNSW Online Handbook
  • UNSW recommend you check the UNSW Online Timetable to ensure that your chosen courses are available.
  • Enrolment is subject to course availability and your academic background. It is important to be flexible with your course choice as some fill up quickly or may not be offered in a particular term. Some courses are restricted.

  • Internships
  • UNSW offers some internship opportunities through their Study Abroad Program. Exchange students can apply for these internships, however you will be required to pay the internship fee. The internships are worth 6 UNSW credits (or one course) and students are required to enrol in other courses to make up the full-time study load. Contact the UNSW office for further information and application forms.
Restrictions to Study
  • For a list of restricted courses and course prerequisites, please see pages 2-3 of the UNSW factsheet
  • On-campus housing
  • A variety of room types and apartments are available, including catered colleges, self-catered university apartments or privately-run colleges on (or very close) to campus. University accommodation should be pre-arranged as places are limited and not guaranteed even if applied by the deadline.
  • UNSW Accommodation includes very limited accommodation at the self-catered University Terraces, Barker Apartments, Mulwarree Apartments, and fully-catered Kensington Colleges. Information including fees, application form and deadline is sent to students after they have been accepted into the exchange program.
  • UNSW also has eight other affiliated Colleges and Apartments that provide high quality accommodation. You should apply directly to the College or Apartment as soon as possible.
  • Off-campus housing
  • For more information on off-campus housing, please see the following link:
Meal Plans Insurance
  • All students are required by the Australian government to have OSHC medical insurance for the duration of their student visa with the exception of Norwegian, Swedish and Belgium passport holders. The Study Abroad team will purchase health cover on your behalf through Medibank Private.
  • In 2018 the OSHC costs were A$250 for a term and A$300 for a tailored term.
Additional Notes
  • Student visas allow work once they have commenced their course at UNSW. You can work up to 40 hours a fortnight during session and unlimited hours when your course is not in session.

University of Queensland *(Exchange Cancelled for 2021)*

  • University Name
    • University of Queensland
    • Important Notice!
    • Please note that due to the on-going uncertainty around the COVID-19 global pandemic, the Australian Government's approach to international borders coupled with the health and insurance considerations for students, UQ have made the difficult decision to cancel all student exchange in 2021.
  • Website(s)
  • Semester Dates
    • Semester 1: February - June
    • Semester 2: July - November

      Semester 1, 2020

      Orientation 17-21 Feb
      Classes 24 Feb-12 Apr
      Mid-semester break 13-19 Apr
      Semester 1 resumes 20 Apr
      Revision period 1-5 Jun
      Examination period 6-20 Jun
      Semester 1 ends 20 Jun

      Semester 2, 2020

      Orientation 20-24 Jul
      Classes 27 Jul-27 Sep
      Mid-semester break 28 Sep-5 Oct
      Semester 2 resumes 6 Oct
      Revision period 2-6 Nov
      Examination period 7-21 Nov
      Semester 2 ends 21 Nov
  • Additional Notes
    • UQ has four main campuses - St. Lucia, Ipswich, Herston and Gatton. Most exchange students study at either the St Lucia or Gatton campus. Students should try not to timetable courses taught at two different campuses on the same day. If the majority of their courses are taught on one campus (e.g. Gatton), they should make accommodation arrangements close to that campus.
    • Please refer to the University of Queensland factsheet for more information.
  • Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Australian immigration regulations require that international students are enrolled as full-time students during their studies in Australia. You must plan to enrol in a full-time load during each semester you study at UQ. A standard full-time load is eight units, which usually equates to four courses per semester.
  • Course availability and enrolment options
    • Incoming Exchange students may select from most of the 4,000 courses across UQ's six faculties.
    • Most courses at UQ are open to Incoming Exchange students, but some require permission from the relevant UQ faculty or school prior to enrolment. For courses you list on your application, UQ’s Incoming Exchange Advisors will request permission on your behalf, and you will receive a report with your letter of offer indicating which courses have been approved.
    • Most courses at UQ are open to Study Abroad and Incoming Exchange students but some require permission from the relevant UQ faculty or school prior to enrolment. UQ’s Study Abroad and Incoming Exchange Advisors will request a report with your letter of offer indicating which courses have been approved.
  • Follow these simple steps to find courses:

    1. Go to
    2. Enter a search term in the search bar – you can search by course code or area of interest – and choose ‘Courses’ from the drop down menu on the right-hand side.
    3. Check the level of the course (undergraduate or postgraduate), and which semester and campus it is offered: click on the semester for course description.
    4. On the course description page you will find a short description of the course as well as a link to a detailed course profile. A note on the left sidebar will advise if the course is pre-approved for Exchange students (if the course is not pre-approved, you must meet the prerequisites to apply).
    5. To refine your search, go back to the search results page and from the left navigation menu, select your filters: for example, refine your search to include only pre-approved courses for Study Abroad students and/or courses offered in a particular semester.
  • Restrictions to Study
    • Please note: Most Clinical Health Science courses (Medicine, Dentistry, Physiotherapy, Occupational and Speech Therapy and Vet Science courses) are not available for Incoming Exchange Students.
  • Accommodation
    • Students have three main accommodation options:
    • On-campus colleges:
    • If you want to arrange your accommodation ahead of time, have your meals catered and lots of support and activities at your fingertips, consider living at one of UQ’s Residential Colleges. Spaces at the Colleges are very limited and in high demand. Apply early to avoid disappointment.
    • Off-campus student accommodation:
    • If you want to be a little more independent but still have your accommodation arranged before you arrive, consider living in off-campus student housing. This is self-catered, furnished accommodation designed for students that can be booked online. Preferred providers are listed on the website
    • Private housing:
    • The third option is to book temporary accommodation and wait until you arrive in Brisbane to secure permanent accommodation. If you choose this option, plan to arrive in Brisbane at least two to three weeks before the start of Orientation because it can take some time to find a suitable place and get settled in. This option offers the widest variety of choices and prices. You can find more information here:
    • Guaranteed accommodation
    • Please note, UQ offers guaranteed accommodation to incoming Exchange students commencing at St Lucia or Herston campus. More information can be found
  • Estimated Costs of Living
  • Insurance
    • Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) provides international students with basic cover for medical and hospital care costs while in Australia. OSHC is a compulsory requirement for a student visa. UQ can organise OSHC for you through its preferred provider. For more information, please see the following link:
  • Additional Information
    • Brisbane has a population 2.3 million people
    • Voted 8th most beautiful city in the world by Rough Guides
    • One of the world's most livable cities
    • 28% of Brisbane residents were born overseas
    • Brisbane has 300+ days of sunshine!
    • For more information on life at Brisbane, please see the following link:

  • University of Sydney

    University Name
    • University of Sydney
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Summer: January - February (6 weeks)
    • Semester 1: February - June (13 weeks)
    • Short Term: June - July (6 weeks)
    • Semester 2: August - November (13 weeks)

      Key Dates for 2020

      Programme Orientation Classes Begin Exams End
      Semester 1 17 February 2019 24 February 2020 20 June 2020
      Semester 2 27 July 2020 3 August 2020 28 November 2020
      Spring Friendly 6 January 2020 6 January 2020 31 May 2020
      Short Term A 2 June 2020 3 June 2020 15 July 2020
      Short Term B 23 June 2020 24 June 2020 24 July 2020
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • The University of Sydney offers over 2500 units of study to Exchange students.
    • A 'unit' is an individual subject or class that you’ll be taking within your course. As an incoming student, you will be looking for units of study (also known as subjects) rather than a 'course', which is a complete degree. Courses are not what you need to be looking at when considering what you can study at USydney. You need to select the 'Units of Study' drop down before searching for suitable subjects.
    • For one semester, you’ll typically enrol in four units of study – each valued at 6 credit points – to make up a workload of 24 credit points. For a one-year program, you will enrol in 48 credit points across two semesters.
    • The undergraduate units of study have the numbers 1000-3000 appearing in the course code. Codes in the 1000 range typically correspond to first year study, 2000s to second year study and 3000s to third year study. Codes for postgraduate students are typically numbered 5000-6000 level.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • For a comprehensive list of study options at the University of Sydney, please see the following link which lists all the courses available to you as an exchange student: sydney-abroad-units-2020.pdf
    • Select your preferred list: Master, Thematic or Department. This will take you to a current unit list.
    • Where a unit name grabs your interest, follow the link for more information, and it will take you to the unit’s course page.
    Restrictions to Study
    • While this exchange is open to students from most departments in college, there are many disciplines at the University of Sydney which have special admission requirements which may affect your acceptance into modules in your area of study.
    • Health Science: This exchange may be suitable for some Health Science students.
    • Law: The University of Sydney have a separate exchange agreement with the Law School and Law students should contact the Law School about that rather than applying for a place on this College-wide Exchange.
    Additional Information
    • USydney offers over 2500+ units to choose from to fulfil your study abroad goals
    • 1st in Australia and ranked 5th in the world for graduate employability
    • Number 1 university for student experience in Australia
    • Ranked in the world’s top 50 universities
    • Sydney is one of the world's best cities, ranked eight in the world and first in Australia
    • Most student visas allow you to work for up to 20 hours per week while school is in session*, and there is no limit on the number of hours an international student can work during recognized school vacations - the national minimum wage is around 18-19 AUD!*
    • This is accurate at time of publication but subject to change.
    Accommodation Estimated Costs of Living Insurance
    • Health insurance is compulsory for most international students who are studying in Australia. It is a condition of your student visa that you maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your studies. This cover needs to be arranged before you can apply for your student visa.
    • You can purchase your health cover through the University of Sydney or from one of the following Australian Government-approved providers, which you can find listed here:
    • Cost: $330 for 6 months (OSHC indicative rates based on the University of Sydney's preferred provider)

    Monash University

    University Name
    • Monash University
    Website(s) Additional Information
    • The Monash exchange allows students to spend one semester in Melbourne in the Australian campus, and one semester in Kuala Lumpur in the Malaysian campus.
    Semester Dates
    • The academic year runs from the end of February to the beginning of November and is divided into two semesters, each with a mid-semester break:
    • Semester 1: late February – June
    • Semester 2: late July – November
    • Each semester has 12 weeks of classes and the majority of classes have three to four contact hours per week per unit. These are followed by a three week exam period. You must study a full-time load of on-campus units while at Monash. This is normally 24 credit points made up of four units or 18 credit points to satisfy visa regulations.
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • You must enrol in full-time study (18-24 credit points).
    • At Monash, degrees are referred to as courses and subjects are referred to as units. Students take a series of units as part of their course.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options Restrictions to Study
      There are some subjects that, for different reasons, aren't available to you as an exchange student. For example:
    • In most cases 4th year and honours units are not available
    • Postgraduate units are only available to postgraduate students (those who have already completed a bachelor degree)
    • Units offered only offshore (Malaysia, Prato etc) are not available unless you are studying at that campus or location
    • Off-campus learning (OCL) or distance education (DE) units are not available. Students can study their units across the Clayton and the Caulfield campuses. However, those wishing to study units taught at the Peninsula, Berwick or Parkville campuses must take all their units of study at that single respective campus.

    • For a comprehensive list of all the restrictions broken down by Faculty please make sure to familiarise yourself with the Academic Considerations page.
    • As an Exchange student, you can apply for a place at the Clayton or Malaysia campuses. Even if you study at Caulfield campus in Melbourne, you can still stay at Clayton and use a free shuttle bus service offered by Monash University, which runs between the two campuses. If you prefer to stay off-campus, Monash Residential Services can help you find a place to live. To find out more, please visit
    • The Monash Abroad office will email students instructions on how to apply online for on-campus accommodation once they have successfully submitted their exchange application; students should not apply directly to Monash Residential Services (MRS).
    • Read more about all the accommodation options available to you on the Life at Monash page
    Estimated Costs of Living
    • For a comprehensive breakdown of the approximate cost of living (for both on-campus and off-campus accommodation) please see the Monash cost of living page
    • Also, keep in mind that in Australia, your student visa allows you to work on a part-time basis for up to 40 hours per fortnight during the semester. During official breaks, the number of hours is unlimited! (FYI -the national minimum wage is around 18-19 AUD!)*
    • This is accurate at time of publication but subject to change
    • Overseas Student Health Cover is a requirement for issuance of a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) which you will require for your student visa application.
    • Under Australian Government visa regulations, all international students (except those from Norway, Belgium and Swedish students with insurance provided by CSN International or Kammarkollegiet) must have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) before they can apply for a student visa.
    • The purchase of OSHC is the first step in Monash being able to issue your CoE, which is a visa application requirement.
    • Failure to purchase OSHC will result in students being non-compliant with their student visa requirements. Students can arrange to pay for their OSHC when accepting their offer through Monash. Monash University’s preferred provider is OSHC with Allianz Global Assistance and we would highly recommend students take this option. Students retain the right to choose their own OSHC provider which must come from the list of providers below.
    • For more information, please see the Insurance section of the Monash University website or alternatively please familiarise yourself with the Overseas Student Health Cover section of the Australian Department of Health website.
    • Non-Monash University OSHC preferred suppliers:
    1. Australian Health Management
    2. BUPA Australia
    3. Medibank Private
    4. NIBli
    Additional Information

    University of Technology Sydney

    University Name
    • University of Technology Sydney
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Autumn Session (Northern Hemisphere Spring):
    • Orientation (compulsory): February - March
    • Main teaching session: March - June
    • Mid-session break (1 week study vacation): April
    • Exams: June-July
    • Exchange applications: 30 November
    • UTS Housing priority placement: 31 October
    • Total compulsory learning weeks: 16 weeks

    • UTS Spring Session (Northern Hemisphere Autumn/Fall):
    • Orientation (compulsory): Late July
    • Main teaching session: July - November
    • Mid-session break (1 week study vacation): September
    • Exams: October- November
    • Exchange applications: 30 April
    • UTS Housing priority placement: 1 June
    • Total compulsory learning weeks: 16 weeks

    Course Load
    • Study abroad and exchange students must enrol in a full-time load at UTS. The fulltime study load is 18-24 credit points per teaching session. Credit points apply to all subjects (except higher degree research programs) and represent a measure of the student’s workload by subject. Most subjects at UTS are 6 credit points each, except for those offered by the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, which are 8 credit points.
    • 1 UTS credit point = 1.25 ECTS credits
    • 6 UTS credit points = 7.5 ECTS credits
    • 8 UTS credit points = 10 ECTS credits
    • 24 UTS credit points (full time load) = 30 ECTS credits
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • When choosing your subjects, UTS encourages students to download their Study Abroad and Exchange Subject Guides from their website. The guides highlight popular and recommended subjects they offer in:
    • Arts & Social Sciences: Communication, Education, International Studies
    • Business
    • Design, Architecture & Building
    • Electives - subjects open to all study backgrounds
    • Engineering & Information Technology
    • Health
    • Law
    • Science and Mathematics
    • You can download the Subject Guide for your study area here:
    • For further subject information across all study areas at UTS, visit the UTS Handbook:
    Restrictions to Study
    • Please make sure to look through the UTS handbook and the subject guide linked above to ensure you meet any prerequisites for your desired course/modules.
    Additional Notes
    • UTS is ranked 1st Young Univeristy in Australia in 2019
    • It is recognised as the 13th youngest univeristy globally
    • Ranked 140th globally in the World University Rankings 2020
    • UTS is a 15 minute train ride away from Circular Quay and a 30 minute bus ride away from Bondi Beach.
    • You'll be a 10 minute walk from Chinatown, Central Park and Darling Harbour and a 90 minute train ride from the Blue Mountains, so there's plenty of variety and things to do!
    • For more info on UTS and embarking on an exchange there, please make sure to look through the UTS Study Abroad and Exchange Guide!
    • You can also sign up for the ESAC - Exchange and Study Abroad Club which organises social events and excursions aimed at enhancing the experience of international students during their time in Sydney. They organise events and experiences with Australian students that are unique to Australia.

    • UTS-Owned Accommodation
    • UTS students can choose from four residences, all of which are close to campus. Check them out on
    • All UTS residences have spacious communal and barbecue areas, study rooms, games and computer rooms. Yura Mudang also has a music room and Gumal Ngurang has a garden rooftop.
    • All UTS residences are self-catered, secure and competitively priced. Most bedrooms are for one person (except twin shares), with shared kitchens, bathrooms and living areas. Apartments are fully furnished and rent includes gas, electricity, water, cabled internet in bedrooms and limited wireless internet access in communal areas.
    • You will need to provide your own bed linen and cooking equipment.
    • Due to the high volume of accommodation requests, UTS Housing has also sourced reserved beds for students with off-campus providers (Urbanest, Unilodge and Iglu).
    • For more information about UTS-owned students accommodations, visit:

    • Renting Private Accommodation:
    • If you are organising private accommodation, we recommend you arrange short-term accommodation in Sydney so you can view properties on your arrival and choose something that really suits your needs for the longterm. Visit UTS Housing’s off-campus accommodation website, to find share rooms in private houses and apartments around UTS:
    • Share accommodation means you usually have your own room and share a kitchen, living area and bathroom with other students or people who work. Alternatively, you may choose a studio or one-bedroom apartment to live in on your own, but this is more expensive.
    • All accommodation rentals should come with a residential or tenancy agreement.
    • If you need any help or advice, please contact the UTS Housing OffCampus Officer at or the UTS Student Legal Service at are here to help you.
    Estimated Costs of Living Insurance
    • Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
    • You must have OSHC* for the full duration of your proposed Australian student visa.
    • For current OHSC costs and payment options, visit the fees section of the UTS Study Abroad and Exchange website.
    • *Belgian, Norwegian and some Swedish students who have health cover in their home country may be exempt from OHSC.
    • For further information about your visa requirements, please visit the Department of Home Affairs’ website:

    University of Western Australia

    University Name
    • University of Western Australia
    Website(s) Semester Dates Application Process
    • If you are successful in securing a place on the exchange programme with UWA, once the Trinity nomination has been received by UWA, you will be sent an email from the UWA Global Learning Office on how to apply.
    • Compulsory application documents include:
    1. a colour copy of your passport
    2. your original academic transcript (or a certified copy)
    3. a proposed study plan
    4. evidence of English language competency (if applicable)
    • Application deadlines for Semester 1 (February – June): once nominated by Trinity, your application and documents will be due by 30th November
    • Semester 2 (July – November): once nominated by Trinty, your application and documents will be due by 15th May.
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Exchange students must enrol in a full academic load of 24 points per semester. Most units are worth six points, so this generally works out to four units per semester.
    • Typically, most units are offered for a semester, but some must be taken for a full year.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • UWA’s undergraduate curriculum provides you with an extensive range of majors and increased flexibility to build your own study plan according to your interests and the credit requirements of your home university. You can choose courses at different levels and across more than one discipline, provided you meet the academic prerequisites. Please note that some postgraduate units may be restricted.
    • You can search available courses on the UWA handbook at the following link: or alternatively, you can find all the courses listed on page 17 of the UWA Study Abroad and Exchange Course Guide for 2020-2021
    • Units with numbers beginning from 1 to 3 are generally undergraduate units. A code beginning with 1 represents first-year level studies, 2 represents second-year level studies and so on.
    • Some units coded 3xxx and 4xxx are common to both postgraduate and undergraduate programs.
    • Internships for credit: Placements or internships may be arranged as part of your study abroad experience. They’re usually one day a week in a supervised workplace run between 80 to 100 hours in total and can be anything from getting a feel for a legitimate working environment to participating in live projects. These practicums are available through Arts, Commerce and Science degrees. For more information please contact the Global Learning Office at
    • Service learning units: These units are another way to gain experience and they involve unpaid work with not for profit, community or government services. Some can earn you academic credit as well as the chance to put your degree skills to use. The McCusker Centre for Citizenship provides this kind of learning. Established in 2015, it offers all UWA students structured, quality internships with not-for-profit, community and government organisations locally, regionally and globally. Students will be matched based on their application and the internship opportunities available, and you can gain academic credit. You can find more information here:
    • Guild Volunteering: Guild Volunteering gets you off campus and into the real world to start making a difference. Broaden your mind, meet new people and develop skills in an area you’re interested in. You may also find that some volunteering is eligible for your supplementary academic transcript. You can find more information at the following link:
    Restrictions to Study
    • Units with a number beginning with 4 are generally honours level units and may require a minimum of three years’ study prior to enrolling. Please note honours level units are not always available to exchange students.
    • Units with numbers beginning with 5 and above are postgraduate level and may require a minimum of three years’ tertiary study in a relevant field prior to enrolling.
    • The Bachelor of Law program has been replaced by the Juris Doctor. As such, there are several restrictions to which Law units exchange students can enrol in. For more information, contact the Global Learning Office.
    • Postgraduate Psychology units are not available to Student Exchange and Study Abroad students.
    Additional Notes
    • One of Australia’s most affordable capital cities, Perth is more affordable than Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney, according to the Economist Intelligence Unit’s Worldwide Cost of Living Survey 2018. See for a breakdown of living expenses while on exchange at UWA.
    • Weather Averages: Summer 18–32°C | Autumn 13–26°C | Winter 9–18°C | Spring 11–23°C
    • Cultural diversity: More than 200 different nationalities live, work and study in WA, speaking more than 170 languages
    • Population of 2.6 million
    • Complete religious freedom
    • FREE WiFi in Perth city
    • You may choose to study either at the Crawley Campus in Perth or at the Albany campus, which is located in a rural city five hours south of Perth. If you are considering Albany, please contact the Global Learning Office first.
    Estimated Cost of Living
    • Cost of Living:The annual cost of living in Perth depends on your lifestyle and the type of accommodation you choose, however AUD$450–$600 per week is generally sufficient for single students to live comfortably (this does not include tuition fees or medical cover). Consider extra funds to cover various items such as airfares and textbooks. There may also be ancillary fees applicable to your course.
    • Working in Australia as an international student: Under the terms of a student visa, once an international student has commenced their course, they may work up to 40 hours per fortnight while their course is in session, and unlimited hours during scheduled course breaks. More info can be found here:
    • For more information on living costs, please see page 22 of the UWA Study Abroad and Exchange Course Guide for 2020-2021
    • Living on campus
    • UWA’s five residential colleges – University Hall, St Catherine’s College, St George’s College, St Thomas More College and Trinity Residential College – provide more than just a room. Each offers a world-class living and learning environment only a few minutes away from campus. Make lifelong friends from across Australia and around the globe, and enjoy a lifestyle that includes meals, internet, all your utilities and academic support, as well as social, cultural and sporting activities and programs.
    • You can apply up to 12 months before you want to live on campus. There is no deadline, but UWA recommend applying as early as possible – you don’t have to wait until you receive an offer from UWA.
    • Find more information at the following link:
    • You can find a breakdown of residential college fees and charges on page 20 of the UWA Study Abroad and Exchange Course Guide for 2020-2021

    • Living off campus
    • UWA owns and manages a group of houses, units and studio apartments, collectively known as Crawley Village. They are available for UWA students to rent, and are offered either unfurnished or with partial furnishings.
    • Properties are located within walking distance of the UWA campus, shops, cafés and restaurants, banks and other amenities, and are ideally suited to postgraduate students or students with families.
    • You can rent an apartment, unit or house on your own or you can share with others. Whether you choose to rent a UWA-owned property or one that is privately or commercially listed, please note that you take full responsibility for the property and sign a rental contract.
    • As a guide, the average cost of renting or leasing an unfurnished one- or two-bedroom unit close to UWA is between AUD$265 and AUD$500 per week. There are also upfront costs to consider, such as a bond or security deposit, and utility connection fees. Other costs, such as electricity and/or gas, telephone and food, are usually not included in the weekly rent.
    • Find more information at the following link: or on page 21 of the UWA Study Abroad and Exchange Course Guide for 2020-2021

    • You can find more information on all the housing options available to you during your exchange at UWA on their accommodation website:
    • Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
    • The Department of Home Affairs requires international students applying for a student visa to have Overseas Student Health Cover(OSHC) for the entire duration of their student visa.
    • This is not applicable to students from Belgium, Norway and Sweden, who are covered under a separate arrangement. OSHC is offered by a number of providers.
    • You may obtain OSHC from the provider of your choice.
    • Find more information here:


    McGill University

    University Name
    • McGill University
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Fall Term 2019:
    • Classes Begin: 3rd of September
    • Classes End: 3rd of December
    • Study Day: 4th of December (Safe to say you should probably start studying well in advance of that!)
    • Exams Begin: 5th of December
    • Exams End: 20th of December (please note McGill also have evening exams)

    • Winter 2020
    • Classes Begin: 6th of January
    • Study Break: 2nd-6th of March (some exceptions apply)
    • Classes End: 14th of April
    • Study Days: 15th and 16th of April
    • Exams begin: 17th of April
    • Exams End: 30th of April
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • The maximum course load at McGill for an exchange student per term is 15 credits (12 is considered full-time).
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • McGill's course calendar includes a full description of courses available and university regulations which will govern your stay at McGill. You can browse by course, faculty or school or by programme - please see the following link which will bring you to the course calendar: or alternatively you can browse through all the course on offer at McGill:
    • The majority of undergraduate courses are available to all exchange and study abroad students. The prime determinant of entry is that a student has completed the specified prerequisite or a course of similar content and level. Students may study across different course areas (however please make sure to familiarise yourself with the restrictions).
    • Please note that the courses listed on your exchange application serve only as a guide when evaluating the application for admission. Most courses have limited enrolment, and course access and registration to any given course is not guaranteed, but is subject to availability, and may be subject to the approval of a McGill adviser. Successful completion of courses does not guarantee entrance into a future degree program at McGill. It is understood that limited enrolment, normal timetabling and scheduling constraints apply to all students, including exchange students.
    Restrictions to Study

    • Faculties not open to Exchange: Medicine, Dentistry, Continuing

    • Desautels Faculty of Management
      Courses in finance have extremely limited enrolment. Students who wish to study at the Desautels Faculty of Management may participate in this exchange but should note that as McGill have difficulty trying to place students in Accounting and Finance courses, they ask that the student is flexible with their course selection.

    • Music
    • The School of Music strongly recommends that:
    • Exchange students start in the Fall term
    • Must be registered in same program at home university
    • Certain course restrictions apply and students may be responsible for supplemental fees associated with particular courses
    • Applicants who wish to participate in lessons, ensembles, or other performance classes are required to submit a recorded audition for evaluation

    • Engineering, Management
    • Limited spaces in Chemical, Civil and Mechanical Eng. disciplines
    • Limited nominations to this faculty
    • Students may be responsible for supplemental fees associated with particular courses

    • Law
    • Normally not open to university-wide agreements (space permitting)
    • Must be registered in same program at home university

    • Graduate Programmes
    • Courses at the 600-700 level ONLY
    • MUST verify if exchange is possible (not all programs are open)
    • Must apply by program specific deadlines (not general deadlines)
    • Science
    • The following Science programs have limited enrolment:
      Anatomy and Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Biology, Computer Science, Mathematics, Microbiology, Pharmacology, Physiology
    • Lab courses are not available
    • General
    • Normally, Undergraduate students wishing to register for 500 level courses must be registered in their final year of study at their home university (or they should be in an upper year or demonstrate that they meet the pre-requisites requirement. This will have to be determined by the department offering the course).
    • The following courses, among others, are not open to exchange students:
    • Courses offered at McGill University by some professional faculties that are restricted to degree candidates in their programs
    • Research project courses and thesis courses
    • Special topics courses
    • Courses in the Centre for Continuing Education
    • Exchange students are expected to register for courses offered by the faculty to which they have been accepted. Only under exceptional circumstances may they take one course per term outside of the McGill faculty to which they have been accepted, and only with permission from the admitted faculties and either the department or faculty offering the course.
    • On-Campus Housing:
    • While priority is given to first-year degree students, some places may be available for exchange students.
    • Once you have accepted your offer of admission, you should contact the Housing Office directly at
    • Fall session or full-year students: Indicate “Yes” under “Residence Accommodation” section in the online application.
    • Winter session students: student must verify available space by emailing

    • Off-Campus Housing:
    • For off-campus housing options please see the Off-campus housing website:

    Meal Plans
    • Mandatory Residential Meal Plan: This 8-month meal plan is mandatory for students living in most McGill Residences. See website for exceptions. This amounts to: $5,475
    • For more information on this mandatory plan, please see the following link:
    • Voluntary Meal Plan: This is an optional plan for students living off campus and costs $2,600
    • For more information on this optional plan, please see the following link:
    • International Health Insurance is compulsory.
    • You can find out about the International Health Insurance plan on the International Students Services website at the following link:
    • Students are charged for the health insurance once they register for courses, however they are charged for the full year amount. In order to adjust the fee to the actual duration of the exchange, students must confirm their coverage in Minerva, starting August 1st (Fall start) or December 1st (Winter start).
    • Students who meet certain criteria may be eligible for an exemption. The list of exemption categories can be found under Eligibility for Exemption on the site indicated above. Please note that, students covered by private health insurance are not exempt from the McGill plan.
    Estimated Costs of Living
    • Students participating in the exchange program are exempt from regular tuition charges and compulsory term charges. However there some charges that they may see on their fee account:
    • International Health Insurance - approximately $330 CAD per term
    • Program/course charges that are compulsory upon registration, such as special activity charges, course materials, textbooks, music lessons, etc. - approximately $600-1000 CAD per term
    • Residence and meal plan (if applicable)
    • For a breakdown of estimated living costs, please see the following link:

    University of Toronto

    University Name
    • University of Toronto
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Fall Term 2019: September to December
    • Winter Term 2020: January to April
    • Please note that exact dates may vary based on the Faculty you are enrolled in at UoT, especially in terms of exam start and end dates
    Application Process
    • At the time of nomination, Trinity will select the U of T campus and faculty for your exchange. This information is passed on to UoT for their approval. It is very important to select the appropriate faculty and campus when applying/being nominated as this cannot be changed later.
    • Once you are nominated, students are required to apply for exchange via the University of Toronto online student application portal.
    • The online application opens annually on January 5th for the upcoming academic year (September – April). If you have been nominated by Trinity, you can apply for exchange through our Student Portal.
    • Carefully follow the instructions on Student Application Instructions (PDF) to ensure you have submitted a complete application.
    • Trinity nominations will only take place towards end of January (the timeline is not yet set) so do not worry about applying to UoT as soon as the applications open as the deadline for UoT application is April the 1st.
    Additional Notes:
    • Exchange students are nominated to ONE of The University of Toronto’s three campuses:
    1. U of T St. George in downtown Toronto
    2. U of T Mississauga (UTM) to the west
    3. U of T Scarborough (UTSC) to the east

    • All three campuses are open to exchange students from Trinity and offer different experiences and opportunities.

    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • The maximum permitted course load is 2.5 credits, or 5 courses. The minimum course load to be considered a full-time student is 1.5 credits, or 3 courses. The number of credits you take will depend on what your school/department advise here in Trinity.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • For information on the courses and subjects that you can study at UoT please go on the UoT inbound exchange courses website which you can find at the following link:
    • Please make sure to read through this carefully - the courses available as well as restrictions are broken down by Faculty, so select the faculty most applicable to you.
    • The UoT website is broken down into 4 steps - the above information can be found in 'Step 2'. In order to move on to step two, you will have to select the country that you're in (Ireland obviously!) and then the institution that you're studying in - again, I'm sure you'll know which to select. Once you do that, the website will bring you on to step 2. This way, the courses and/or restrictions are tailored specifically to Trinity in most cases.
    Restrictions to Study
    • As above, the restrictions as Faculty-specific so please make sure to read through the relevant section in detail - you can find all these restrictions here, broken down by Faculty:
    • If you're not sure which faculty you would belong to, have a look through all the sections and see which is most relevant to your discipline or has the course that you require.
    • On-campus housing for exchange students is only guaranteed at UoT's Scarborough (UTSC) campus, provided the application and deposit are submitted on time.
    • While you are welcome to complete the on-campus residence application for UoT's Mississauga (UTM) and St. George (Downtown) campuses, most exchange students will live off-campus during their exchange as on-campus housing is in high demand.
    • UoT Housing offers assistance and advice to all students on housing-related matters after you are admitted as an exchange student.
    • If coming in the fall or winter terms, UoT recommends that you begin your search for off-campus housing as soon as possible, as it can take some time to get used to the competitive Toronto housing market. The Off-Campus Housing webpage is a great place to begin your search.
    • If you do not have active Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) coverage (or coverage from another Canadian province), you are required to purchase the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) while studying at U of T.
    • UHIP is mandatory. UHIP is a health insurance plan for all exchange and international students enrolled in an Ontario university. It helps to cover the cost of medical services, such as hospital and doctor visits, should you become ill while on exchange. Please familiarize yourself with your UHIP plan coverage as most dental care, prescription drugs, eye care, and various kinds of therapies are not covered by UHIP.
    • Exchange students are NOT eligible for U of T supplementary insurance plans. For additional coverage, we recommend that you purchase travel health insurance before you arrive.
    • In 2019/2020, the cost of the UHIP was $53 per month. This rate is subject to change for upcoming years. For example: If you are on exchange for the fall term only, your UHIP fee will be $212 ($53 x 4 months).
    • When you first login to ACORN to view your fees, you may notice that you have been charged for 12 months coverage. This is because fees are automatically calculated for the full calendar year. These fees will be adjusted to match the amount of time you will be studying at U of T. Do not pay the fee until it has been adjusted.
    • You will need to show your UHIP card and fill out a claim form every time you use health care services, so be sure to register online, print your card and carry it with you at all times. (Claim forms are not required at the U of T Health and Wellness Centre).
    • Payment is due by the end of the first month that you are at U of T. There are three options for paying UHIP and fees and you can find more information on this as well as all the information above at the following link: under the 'Get your Health Insurance (UHIP)' section.

    University of British Columbia

    University Name
    • University of British Columbia
    Website(s) Semester Dates Application Process
    • Once you have been nominated by Trinity you will have to complete UBC's online application. UBC will email you with further instructions, including the URL to their online application. Please submit your application by the deadline indicated in the email. Once you have submitted the online application, you will receive a confirmation email indicating your UBC student number. Students wishing to attend MRNE (Marine Science) courses must submit a separate application to Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre (BMSC) after completing the exchange application. MRNE courses are taught at BMSC located on Vancouver Island. Additional fees will apply.
    • For more information on the application procedure please see
    Additional Notes
    • UBC’s two main campuses are situated in Vancouver and in Kelowna in the Okanagan Valley.
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Undergraduate exchange students typically take between 9 and 15 credits per semester at UBC, depending on degree requirements at their home university. Your School or Department in Trinity will advise you on the minimum course load required during your exchange for your course.
    • Students must maintain registration of a minimum of 9 credits per term to be considered as a full-time student at UBC.
    • If you are living in one of the student residences or considering working with a valid Study Permit, you must maintain your full-time student status.
    • There is a credit limit for both full year (30 credits/year) and single-term students (18 credits/term).
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    Restrictions to Study Accommodation
    • Estimated on-campus housing is approximately $3,000 – 3,500* CAD per term
    • *The cost of housing depends on the location, size and type. There are apartment, townhouse style accommodations available (eg. Walter Gage, Fairview Crescent, Ritsumeikan-UBC House, Marine Drive).
    • For detailed costs for each residence, please check the UBC Vancouver Housing website:
    • Estimated off-campus housing options:
    • Shared housing: $2,800+/term
    • Private housing: $4,000+/term
    Estimated Cost of Living Insurance
    • iMED is the basic health insurance required for all new international exchange students. Enrolment is automatic upon registration in your courses. For more information (including coverage dates), please visit the iMED page on the UBC website for further information (including coverage dates):
    • Single-term exchange: $252 CAD per term plus a $9.55 direct billing fee for iMED. If you are a single-term exchange student, iMED will cover you for the duration of your stay (approximately four months and one week).
    • Full-year exchange: $180 CAD plus a $9.55 direct billing fee for iMED covering three-month waiting period for the British Columbia Medical Services Plan (MSP). Students on exchange for six months or longer are required to apply for MSP. As there is a three-month waiting period for MSP, students are covered by iMED during this period. Full-year exchange: $75 CAD per month for BC Medical Services Plan (MSP)

    University of Waterloo

  • University Name
    • University of Waterloo
  • Website(s)
  • Semester Dates
    • At the University of Waterloo two terms of study are equivalent to a full academic year however Waterloo operate on a trimester system: Fall: September- December, Winter: January- April, Spring: May-August
    • Fall Semester: September - December
    • Winter Semester: January - April
    • Spring Semester: May - August
  • Application Process Course Load Course availability and enrolment options Restrictions to Study Accommodation
    • Living on campus gives you the convenience of being minutes away from class in a safe and secure environment. It is a great way to meet new people and it is all-inclusive so your furniture, utilities, high-speed internet and a weekly a grocery shuttle will be provided. Apply for a spot in Waterloo Residences before November 8 (winter only) and March 1 (spring only). Fall term and fall/winter term exchange students are placed on a first-come, first-served basis, and spots are limited.
    • All the information on campus housing and price plans and options can be found at the following link:
    • You also have the option to live off-campus with either Waterloo Co-operative Residence Inc. (WCRI) or Off-Campus Housing.
    Estimated Cost of Living Insurance
    • You will be enrolled in two health insurance plans while on exchange in Canada.
    • The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) covers basic health care services, such as medical doctor appointments, hospital visits, and most diagnostic tests.
    • The Studentcare extended Health and Dental Plan covers extra costs like prescription drugs, paramedical practitioners, vision, and dental care. You can opt out of the extended health and dental insurance if you meet the criteria and can prove that you have equivalent coverage. Applications for UHIP exemption are only considered if you meet the criteria outlined on the UHIP website.


    Beihang University

    University Name
    • Beihang University
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Autumn semester 2019
    • Dormitory open for check-in: September 2, 2019
    • Orientation and start of the semester: September 4, 2019
    • Moon Festival: September 13-15, 2019
    • National Day Holiday: October 1-7, 2019
    • Final exams end: around January 10, 2020

    • Spring semester 2020 (to be confirmed)
    • Dormitory open for move-in: February 23, 2020
    • Orientation and start of the semester: February 24, 2020 Tomb-sweeping Festival: April 4-5, 2020 Labor Day: May 1-3, 2020 Semester ends: June 26, 2020
    Language of Instruction
    • Beihang is one of the first Chinese universities to offer postgraduate programmes in English for international students. Currently, over 250 of their courses can be taught in English. At the undergraduate level, seven subject areas offer English-taught courses. More choices are available at the postgraduate level.
    • Note that incoming exchange students can select courses across a range of subject areas and are not restricted to courses only in their major. It is also possible for undergraduate exchange students to choose courses from postgraduate programs, and vice versa. However, courses are taught only once a year, either in the spring semester or in the autumn semester.
    Course Load
    • One credit at Beihang generally equals to 16 hours of lecture time, around 2-2.5 ECTS credits. Their grading scale is as follows: 0-59 Fail; 60-69 Average; 70-84 Good; 85-100 Excellent. Transcripts of records will be sent to Trinity either in late March or late September.
    • In parallel with your regular studies, you can take Chinese language courses for 4 to 20 hours a week, depending on your proficiency level. Application for such courses takes place on arrival. Elementary courses are free of charge and Intermediate courses may incur an extra fee of ¥6000 per semester.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • For a list of available undergraduate courses taught through English, please see the following link:
    • Please note that course offerings at UG level are limited to the following schools: School of Electronic and Information Engineering, School of Automation Science and Electrical Engineering, School of Aeronautic Science and Engineering, School of Mechanical Engineering and Automation, School of Transportation Science and Engineering, School of General Engineering(International Model School, School of Economics and Management.
    • For a list of available postgraduate courses taught through English, please see the following link:
    Restrictions to Study
    • There is a very limited number of modules delivered through English at Beihang University. Please see the above section for a list of courses that you can study.
    • Please also be advised that students who hold a Chinese passport cannot be admitted as exchange students in China.
    Additional Information Accommodation Insurance
    • Students are required to register for Comprehensive Insurance & Protection Scheme for Foreigners Staying in China. The cost is ¥400/6 months.

    Beijing Foreign Studies University

    University Name
    • Beijing Foreign Studies University
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • The Autumn semester often starts in early September and ends in mid-January next year
    • The Spring semester lasts from late February until mid-July.
    Course Load
    • The recognition of courses and credits will be made in accordance with the student exchange agreements between the two universities and the curriculum of the school where the applicant is studying. After the students finish the exchange study and leave the campus, BFSU will send the transcripts to the home institution. Trinity requires that students take a minimum of 22.5 ECTS per semester or a minimum of 45 ECTS for the academic year. However, different departments have different requirements so make sure to discuss this with your academic coordinators.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • Schools that provide courses taught in English:
    • International Business School
    • School of English and International Studies
    • School of International Relations and Diplomacy
    • School of International Journalism and Communication
    • School of Law

    • Schools that provide courses taught in Chinese:
    • School of Chinese Language and Literature
    • International Business School
    • School of International Relations and Diplomacy
    • School of International Journalism and Communication
    • School of Law
    • For information on modules available please see the following link: When you scroll down, you will see a list of all departments, and once you click into the link, it will bring up a PDF of modules available.
    Restrictions to Study
    • Make sure to check that you will have a sufficient number of English language modules.
    • Make sure to also check if the course you wish to take has any prerequisites.
    Accommodation Estimated Costs of Living
    • Accommodation: On average, a single room student dormitory accommodation will cost about RMB 1500 per month, or about RMB 18,000 per year, including utilities.
    • Food: A meal at the university canteen/restaurant or in a fast-food restaurant outside would cost about RMB 7 to RMB 30. The average monthly bill for students that will study in Beijing, China may be between the range of RMB 630 to RMB 1800.
    • Transportation: A one-way local transport ticket in Beijing costs about RMB 4. The taxi start rate costs about RMB 13, plus the additional taxi rate per kilometer of about RMB 2.30. A monthly transport pass for university students in Beijing would cost around RMB 200.
    • Extra costs: Some extra costs for university students who will study in Beijing, China are books and study materials around RMB 210 to RMB 350 per month (increased costs for those studying Sciences, Medicine, or Art), and medical insurance of about RMB 400 per six months.
    • It is a policy of the Chinese government that all overseasstudents who study in China for one semester or more should purchase Inpatient Medical and Accident Insurance. The Insurance can be purchased from the assigned Insurance Company. The fee is 300 Chinese Yuan for one semester and 600 Chinese Yuan for one academic year. Overseas students without this insurance cannot register at BFSU.
    • Insurance can be purchased on spot upon registration, or be purchased online before registration. For online buying please see Operation Instructions for Paying Insurance Premium Online.

    Peking University

    University Name
    • Peking University
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Autumn Semester: September - January
    • Spring Semester: February – June
    Language of Instruction

    • Proficiency in Chinese is generally required.

    • Students who are proficient in Chinese can apply to be enrolled in the relevant school/department either by providing the HSK certificate or by passing the Chinese language test upon registration. HSK requirements - new HSK test: Level 6, old HSK test: Level 7.

    • Students who are not proficient in Chinese can only be enrolled in School of Chinese as a Second Language. As the courses in the School of Chinese as a Second Language are generally all in the areas of Chinese language and culture, these courses would be unsuitable for most Trinity students. While studying in this school, students can also choose 1-2 English courses per semester at other schools/departments if the courses and quotas are available, however this is generally not enough to make up a full course load. The limited number of English modules at undergraduate level are mainly in the School of Economics, Guanghua School of Management and the School of Law.

    • Senior Visiting Students and Research Scholars are not required to take the Chinese language proficiency exam, on the premise that the candidate experiences no obstacles in communicating with their supervisor.

    Course Options & Course Load
    • Language students should only take Chinese language courses at the School of Chinese as a Second Language and must take a language course load of 18 academic hours per week minimum.
    • Subject-study students normally should only take undergraduate courses,and the course load should be no less than 6 credits and no more than 20 credits in total per semester.
    • Subject-study students should obey the principle of resource priority. Degree-seeking students of Peking University have priority in courses registration. Courses provided by special programs first meet the demands of their students.
    • The Ministry of Education of China requires that all international students must purchase the medical insurance designated by Chinese universities and be medically insured throughout their entire planned period of study. Students who do not have valid medical insurance will not be allowed to register.
    • Peking University international students are required to purchase the Comprehensive Insurance Plan for Foreign Students, which is offered by the Ping An Annuity Insurance Company of China, on the day of registration. Recipients of the Chinese Government Scholarship will have their health plan prepared/purchased by the government. Please note that students without valid medical insurance are not allowed to register.
    • Ping An Insurance Company:
    • Tel: 4008105119-1
    • International Students may live on campus at the Shao Yuan Student Dormitory or Zhongguanyuan Global Village. Students who live on campus must abide by the rules and regulations of their residence. International Students who extended their duration of study will not be provided with on-campus housing arrangements.
    • Students may also choose to live off campus under the condition that they must register themselves at the police station of their residential area and obtain Accommodation Certificate from the local police station. If you are living off campus, do ensure that your rental contract with you landlord is legitimate and reliable. The Division of International Students’ Office also provides students with information regarding off-campus housing. Please consult the staff at the office if you wish for such assistance.

    Southeast University

    More info on this exchange is coming soon!

    Tsinghua University

    University Name
    • Tsinghua University
    Website(s) Semester Dates Application Process Additional Information
    • Tsinghua University is ranked #16 in the world according to QS rankings
    • Tsinghua offer other programmes such as the Schwarzman Scholars (a funded Masters in Global Affairs programme - a great opportunity for students finishing up their degree in Trinity - find more info here: as well as a fantastic summer school which previous Trinity students have attended and thoroughly enjoyed! You'll be able to find up to date information on the Summer Programmes page closer to December/January when Tsinghua open up their applications and circulate information!
    • If you are applying for admission to the University-level Student Exchange Program and coming from a partner university of Tsinghua in the following regions, you may have an opportunity to be nominated for the following special Chinese Government Scholarships, which are established by Chinese Government to promote student exchange between Chinese universities and foreign partner universities.
    • Credit Student Scholarship for China-Europe Exchange: RMB 3000 per month. Exchange students from partner universities in Europe that have signed university-level student exchange agreements have the chance to be granted with the scholarship.
    • World-renowned University Scholarship: RMB 3000 per month. Exchange students from partner universities that have signed university-level student exchange agreements have the chance to be granted with the scholarship.
    • For more information about Chinese Government Scholarship, please visit the website of China Scholarship Council (CSC).(
    • You can contact the exchange office at Tsinghua regarding this by emailing:

    • Confucius Institute Scholarship
    • The Confucius Institute Scholarship is established by the Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban) to encourage and support International students to study Chinese language and culture in China. Tsinghua University is authorized by Hanban to enroll the Confucius Institute Scholarship students who will be studying Chinese language in China for one semester or one year. The Scholarship application should be recommended by the Confucius Institute or the Education Section of Chinese Embassies in the applicant's home country.
    Course Load
    • The maximum credits that may be taken is 20 each semester, of which a maximum of 8 credit hours may be chosen from departments other than that of your major discipline. (The information in this section was correct as of 2017 and is currently pending confirmation from partner for 2019).
    Language of Instruction
    • There are nearly 300 English-taught courses open to the exchange students.
    • Students applying for an exchange place at Tsinghua University should pass Band six of HSK unless they have studied the Chinese language for at least two years or they choose to study only modules taught in English. (If you are proficient in Chinese this must be made clear on your application).
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • For an idea of the English language modules available to you please see the two documents below:
    • Courses in English, Spring 2019
    • Courses in English, Fall 2019
    • This exchange is most suitable for Engineering, Economics & Management, Law, International Relations and offers some Sciences subjects but students would need to carry out their own research to ensure they can take enough modules in their area to meet academic requirements in Trinity.
    Restrictions to Study
    • There are a limited number of modules delivered through English at Tsinghua University so this exchange will only be suited to some students.
    • In some cases, undergraduate exchange students may take some graduate level modules at Tsinghua and this will open up a wider variety of English-medium modules for them.
    • Students who are proficient in Chinese may take courses in Chinese and in English. (The information in this section was correct as of 2017 and is currently pending confirmation from partner for 2019).
    • The number of on-campus apartment rooms are limited. New students need to book rooms in advance within the time specified.

      On Campus Accommodation:
    • If your dormitory application is successful, you have to complete the check-in procedure within the designated time.
    • Bring your admission notice, passport, and accommodation payment to the general reception desk of the Zijing International Student Apartments to get the Registration Form of Temporary Residence.

      Off-Campus Accommodation:
    • Each international student who lives off-campus needs to accompany the landlord to the local police station to register within 24 hours after moving into the apartment in order to acquire a Registration Form of Temporary Residence.
    • If you have to renew or extend your visa and/or re-enter China, you can re-register with the police without the landlord present. Simply bring your passport and Registration Form of Temporary Residence to the local police station to complete the procedure.
    • The health insurance system for the accidental injury and hospitalization of international students has been implemented in China. The insurance fees for scholarship-sponsored students are paid by the Ministry of Education of PRC. Self-financing students staying for no less than half a year can apply for the insurance at their own expenses upon registration. The students not joining health insurance are not allowed to register.
    • For the international students sponsored by CSC scholarships free medical care is provided:
      1. CSC scholarships students shall first see a doctor at Tsinghua University Hospital with student IC card. Certificates from the University Hospital are required when the international students in concern need to transfer to some assigned hospitals due to serious diseases. The out-patients first pay for the medical expenses at assigned hospitals by themselves and will be reimbursed at FSAO with the receipt. Those students who get medical care at another hospital without permission or purchase medicines at their own wish shall bear the medical expenses by themselves. The insurance company will indemnify the medical expenses for accidental injury or hospitalization according to the insurance policy.
      2. The following medical expenses are not included in the free medical service: registration fee at the hospital, food served in the hospital, spectacles, teeth filling, false teeth fitting, teeth extraction, child birth, abortion, corrective therapies for physical defects, nutritious food, non-prescription medicine and expenses on treating chronic diseases starting before the international students came to China. Students, hurt or killed because of participating in fighting or other violations of university rules or laws, shall bear their own medical expenses.
      3. All the receipts for medical care should be submitted for reimbursement within two months after issuing.
    • For self-financing international students: Self-financing students can seek medical care at the University Hospital or other hospitals at their own expenses. Those who have joined medical insurance will be reimbursed based upon the insurance policies.

    University Nottingham Ningbo China

    University Name
    • University Nottingham Ningbo China
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Autumn Semester: September - January
    • Spring Semester: February - June
    • Full Academic Year: September - June
    • You can find specific dates, as well as the provisional dates for 2020-21 and 2021-22 in the UNNC Academic Calendar
    Application Process
    • After you have been nominated by home university, you will then receive an automatic email send from our IOMS ( with your username and password for online application.
    • Students will then need to fill in online form and upload relevant supporting documents including:
      1. Your most recent academic transcript
      2. copy of your passport
      3. passport size photo
      4. copy of your English language test result (if applicable)
    • Once UNNC receive your completed online application, it may take at least 2-3 weeks for UNNC school approval. You will receive an automatic email once your modules approved and you can then proceed next steps including accommodation application, payment of fees and airport pick up service.
    • The application deadline to UNNC is:
      1 May for September entry
      30 October for January/February entry
    • Please note that UNNC offers multiple scholarships for exchange students:

    • University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) Mobility Scholarships
    • Up to RMB 650,000 (USD 100,000) scholarships available to 50% incoming students.
    • Eligibility: Candidates must be from outside Mainland China (incl. Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan). Candidates should be nominated by home institution.

    • Ningbo International Student Government Scholarships for Exchange Students
    • RMB 6,000 (USD 900) each per academic year available to 5% incoming students.
    • Eligibility: Candidates must be a foreign citizen (except Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan). Candidates should demonstrate high levels of academic performance; candidates should apply from the Global Engagement Office at UNNC.
    Additional Information
    • UNNC offer free Chinese language lessons
    • All the study programmes at UNNC are all delivered in English
    • Ningbo city was ranked in the Forbes List of Top Cities for Business in China
    • Please note, UNNC offer summer programmes. More information on these will be available in December/early January so keep your eye on the Summer Programmes page
    Language of Instruction
    • All undergraduate and postgraduate programs in Ningbo are conducted entirely in English with the same teaching and evaluation standards as at Nottingham UK by staff either seconded from Nottingham UK or appointed internationally to the University of Nottingham standards.
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Students are required to undertake a full time course of study for one or two semesters. Modules are normally worth 10-20 credits each. The average full time workload is 60 Nottingham credits (30 ECTS credits) in one semester and 120 credits (60 ECTS credits) over two semesters in one year; 50 credits is the minimum full-time workload in one semester.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • UNNC offers a wide range of subjects for your period of study abroad, including Business, International Communications, International Studies, Economics, Science and Engineering, English at different levels including UG and PG.
    • Please see the following link for details on subjects that you can study at UNNC:
    • For module details, please refer to the Module Catalogue
    • Ensure to choose modules at the appropriate level for your degree - further information on this can be found in the UNNC 2019-2020 Fact Sheet (they don't have page numbers but it's the one with all the students on a boat :D )
    Restrictions to Study
    • The exchange with UNNC will not be suitable to all students, especially in the Arts given that they have fewer disciplines than in Trinity. This exchange is suitable for Business, Engineering, Language, International Studies and Science students predominantly but carry out your own due diligence and see what courses are available to you!
    • Students will live in an International Student Residence Hall on campus with other students from around the world where all the rooms are fully furnished. There are several options available for international students.
    • Further information on on-campus accommodation in UNNC is available online:
    • You can find more information on costs and options in the UNNC 2019-20 Fact Sheet under the Accommodation section.
    Estimated Living Costs
    • Please see the UNNC 2019-20 Fact Sheet for more info on the estimated costs of living. (Again, no page number but it has cost of living in huge writing on top of the page so you can't miss it!)
    • All international students must be covered by 'Comprehensive International Student Insurance of Pacific Insurance (Group) Co., Ltd. (CPIC) for his/her whole study period. CPIC shall undertake the following insurance liabilities during the period of insurance: (it gets a bit grim) death insurance, accidental disability insurance, medical insurance for accidental injury,outpatient, emergency and hospitalization. This insurance costs 800 RMB for a year or 400 RMB for six months.

    Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University

    University Name
    • Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University
    • For more information on exchange at XJTLU, please see their website:
    • Please also make sure to read through the XJTLU Welcome Guide 2019. This is a very comprehensive guide that goes into a lot of detail - bear in mind this was created for full-degree international students and not specifically for exchange students, but it covers a lot of information which will be useful for you when embarking on exchange at XJTLU and China!
    Application Process
    • Exchange students should apply through their home institution’s study abroad office.
    • The home university will then nominate students to XJTLU.
    • After receiving the list of nominated students, XJTLU will invite each student to complete an application form.
    • The student application deadline for an autumn semester start is 1 May
    • The student application deadline for a spring semester start is 30 November
    Language of Instruction
    • All modules, except the intermediate and advanced Chinese language courses, are taught through English.
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Students normally study 20 credits per semester
    • Choose your modules in order of preference when you submit your selections to XJTLU
    • You should apply for more modules than you need (XJTLU strongly recommend 40 credits per semester), in case you do not get your first choice because of timetable clashes and/or module changes
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • For a list of all courses, please see the following link:
    • This will bring you to a list of all the courses - note, these are clickable and will then bring you to all the modules within that course.
    • The first number in the module code refers to the undergraduate level at XJTLU (0, 1, 2, and 3). Undergraduate degree courses at XJTLU are four years with general education covered in level zero. Degree-specific content is taught at levels one, two and three according to the typical three-year model in England, Wales and Northern Ireland and Ireland.
    Restrictions to Study
    • An exchange student can study a maximum of one Chinese Language module (CLT module) per semester.
    • China Studies (CCS) and Physical Education (PHE) modules are not available for exchange students.
    • Exchange students are guaranteed accommodation in the International Students’ Apartment. Once exchange students have accepted the offer letters, the XJTLU Global team will book accommodation for students. There’s no accommodation application needed separately.
    • For more information about accommodation, please see the following link:
    Estimated Cost of Living Insurance
    • From the point of registration with the university, all students are insured by a basic insurance package, which covers, for example, accidental injuries, hospitalisation, death, and disability caused by accidents.
    • Due to the government’s processing system, it takes around 6 months to receive your insurance card. In this case, after occurrence of any medical expenses in the hospital, you need to keep the receipts and then go through a manual reimbursement procedure. You should be aware that the basic insurance package is not direct billing, so you will need to pay cash and then claim back the treatment or medication expenses afterwards.
    • It is important to budget for potential medical costs and we advise you to keep at least 10,000 RMB in your Chinese bank account in case of medical emergencies.
    • Should you wish to you can choose to upgrade this insurance to include other services such as dental and private clinics; however, it may be more financially viable to consider purchasing insurance from your home country if you want more comprehensive coverage.
    • If you already have purchased a medical insurance in your home country, you may want to check whether you can extend it to cover your stay in China.
    • It is strongly recommended that you buy travel insurance before you leave your home country. You will need to be careful to ensure that long stay is covered by the company. A good travel insurance should cover basic medical, possessions, delay and cancellation, in addition to repatriation and legal expenses.
    • Please note, this information was correct as of 2017 - pending confirmation from partner for 2019.

    Hong Kong

    The Chinese University of Hong Kong

    University Name
    • The Chinese University of Hong Kong
    • Check out the Office of Academic Links website for more information on studying abroad at CUHK as an exchange students:
    • Make sure to use the menu on the left side to navigate through all relevant sections, such as campus life, application and other important things to note when embarking on exchange!
    Semester Dates
    • Semester 1: September – End of November
    • Semester 2: January – April
    • You can find more specific dates, such as orientation and exams at this link:
    • Make sure to check the last day of your examinations before making travel plans or booking return flights!
    Application Process Language of Instruction
    • Cantonese is the main spoken language in Hong Kong, but CUHK is a multilingual university, with English or Putonghua (Mandarin) used as the languages of instruction for many courses.
    Course Load
    • At CUHK, one unit or credit is roughly equivalent to one hour of instruction per week. Most three-unit courses feature either three hours of lectures or two hours of lectures and one hour of tutorials per week. Students receive credits for all courses successfully completed, according to the academic standards of the department.

    • Undergraduate students (exchange and study abroad students) must take a full load of courses i.e. a minimum of 9 units and a maximum of 18 units per term.

    • Postgraduate exchange and study-abroad students, except those from programmes with a specific course-load requirement, can either take a full load of 9 to 18 units of courses, or conduct research by taking a minimum of three units per term.

    Course Availability and Enrolment Options Restrictions to Study Additional Information
    • Please note that CUHK offer a variety of summer school options, so make sure to check out what is available for summer 2020 - this will be updated on Trinity's Summer Programmes site in January when CUHK circulates more information, or you can check directly on their website:
    • Undergraduate Hostels
    • You will share a room with one or two CUHK students who have expressed an interest in a non-CUHK roommate. Single rooms are not available for undergraduate exchange and study-abroad students.
    • Prospective undergraduate exchange and study abroad students should indicate accommodation preference by completing section 10 in the online application form. If you do not complete this section, you are considered as having no accommodation preference. Assignment of undergraduate hostels will be made randomly.
    • For more information, please visit the following link:
    • Living with local students will help students with the transition to a new environment and immerse into the Chinese culture.
    • On-campus housing is automatically assigned to admitted students, additional application is not required.
    • You can find the accommodation costs here:
    • You should arrange accident and sickness insurance that includes emergency-evacuation and repatriation expenses for the duration of your stay in Hong Kong at your own cost.
    • If you plan to travel outside Hong Kong, make sure your insurance policy covers the place you are visiting.
    • Before you arrange your own insurance, check with your parents first if you are covered by any health insurance policies they have.
    • Bring a copy of any insurance policies you have to Hong Kong; when you first report to the Office of Academic Links you will be asked for copies in case of an emergency.
    Estimated Costs of Living

    The University of Hong Kong

    University Name
    • The University of Hong Kong
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • September- November (assessment in December)
    • January – April (assessment in May)
    • More specific dates (including Orientation) can be found in the HKU Academic Calendar
    Application Process
    • Once nominated for exchange by Trinity, students will be invited to complete an online exchange application by email (Login credentials & application instructions will be included).
    • Students are advised to complete online application no later than the application deadline. Late submission will not be considered.
    • Students may refer to the step-by-step application procedures
    • A proposed Study Plan at HKU is required in the online application. This is only a preliminary course plan for faculty’s review on students’ application, they are NOT enrolled to these courses. See the 'Course Availability' section below for more info on courses available.
    • You can find all this information on page 3 of the HKU fact sheet.
    Additional Information
    • HKU Summer Institute offers a wide range of programmes delivered by different faculties, providing quality learning and invaluable study abroad opportunity for students. The programmes are open to all undergraduates and are best suited for students who are looking to expand their academic and cultural horizons during summer in one of the most vibrant cities in Asia.
    • HKU Summer Institute offers more than 30 programmes in the fields of Arts and Humanities, Social Sciences, Business and Economics, and Science. These programmes are delivered in the form of lectures by acclaimed HKU professors and prestigious scholars, and also in the form of workshops, site visits, field trips and case discussion. Alongside, students are provided with the opportunities to participate in cultural and social activities, which enable students to have some personal experience of the local culture and acquire a deeper understanding of the local community. For list of courses and application procedures, please visit the following link: or wait until the next promotional round of Summer Programmes in Trinity in January - this information will be posted here:
    Course Load
    • Students are required to take 24 -30 credits (6 credits per course in general) for each semester.
    • 50% of the course load must be chosen from one Faculty (your intended host faculty). It is optional for students to take the remaining credits from other faculties.
    • Common Core courses will not count as part of the fulfillment of the 50% requirement of course enrolment for exchange students.
    • Except for the Faculty of Business and Economics (FBE), the minimum and maximum course load per semester are 6 and 30 credits respectively. It is optional for students to take the remaining credits from other faculties. However, please ensure that at least 50% belongs to FBE.
    • Students admitted to Faculty of Law can choose no more than 6 credits of non-law course (i.e. 1 course) in each semester. For more information, please refer to their website.
    • The above information can be found at the following link:
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • All courses are taught in English, except courses offered by the School of Chinese.
    • The HKU credit system is based on the ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) model. A semester of study in HKU and in an ECTS-compliant institution will be considered as equal in credit value under normal circumstances. The actual credit transfer of courses will be subject to the policies and procedures of your home institution.
    • Students are recommended to check the course pre-requisites before selecting courses.
    • Taught master-level programmes are generally not offered to exchange students. If you wish to conduct research under a supervisor, please contact Faculties to make appropriate arrangements.
    • The approval of courses is on a case-by-case basis and subject to the Faculty's approval. Actual enrolment is subject to class availability, courses offered in the first semester, quota and class schedule. [The information is subject to change without prior notice]
    • Please see the Available Courses by Faculty section of the HKU website for further information on the courses available to you at HKU:
    • Each faculty has a PDF course list with further information on modules available.
    Restrictions to Study
    • The following programmes / courses are NOT opened to exchange students:
    • Faculty of Dentistry
    • Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine
    • BSc (Exercise and Health) Programme
    • Most final year project courses provided by all faculties

    • Faculty of Business & Economics:
    • Courses offered by the Faculty of Business and Economics (FBE) are highly competitive. Students who are in their final year in particular, should note that course enrolment is NOT guaranteed.
    • Students who apply to FBE should have a grade level of B average / CGPA 3.0 / Satisfactory level.
    • Students should have already completed the course prerequisites before requesting to enrol in courses with pre- requirements Co-registration (e.g taking Microeconomics I and II together in a semester) is not allowed.
    • Economics and Finances courses highly emphasize mathematics.

    • Make sure to also read through the Available Courses by Faculty section of the HKU website and see the restrictions listed beside each faculty (if any):
    Accommodation Meal Plans
    • Some halls have compulsory meal plans, others do not (see Hall Charges for details). For those residents whose halls do not provide compulsory meal plans, they can have meals on campus.
    • University Health Service (UHS)
    • The University Health Service (clinic) provides free primary health care to full-time registered students. Certain medications, preventive services and other items are charged at cost. Dental service is also available at a notional charge. Students may refer to the medical benefits for incoming students from overseas for details.
    • You should arrange, at your own cost, accident and sickness insurance for the duration of your studies in Hong Kong. The coverage should include provisions for emergency evacuation/rescuer's expenses and repatriation.
    • If you plan to travel outside Hong Kong, you should make sure that your insurance policy covers those destinations as well.
    • Registered students are entitled to HKU Group Travel Insurance (Portal login required to read the details) for travelling overseas on activities which are officially arranged by the University.

    Hong Kong University of Science & Technology

    University Name
    • Hong Kong University of Science & Technology
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • The academic year runs from September to May, with the Fall Term and Spring Term being the major terms. Exchange students can choose to study at HKUST for one or both terms. Students interested in our International Summer Exchange Program (ISP) can visit here for details.
    • Fall Term: Early September to late December
    • Spring Term: Late January/early February to late May

    • 2020-21 Academic Year (Provisional)
    • Fall Term
    • Term dates: 1 September to 19 December 2020
    • Exchange student arrival date: Late August 2020
    • Spring Term
    • Term dates: 1 February to 28 May 2021
    • Exchange student arrival date: Late January 2021
    Course Load
    • The Fall and Spring terms are each 13 weeks long. Most courses at HKUST are 3 credits, with three hours of lectures per week, totalling 39 lecture hours per term. The normal credit load is 15 credits (five courses) each term. The minimum credit load is 12 credits (four courses) and the maximum is 17–18 credits (six courses).
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • You can enroll in any undergraduate course as long as there are places available and you fulfill the course prerequisites and any other enrolment conditions prescribed for the course.
    • Postgraduate level courses are usually not open for enrolment to undergraduate exchange students. A few areas have courses that have limited entry. More information will be provided closer to the time of course selection.
    • HKUST offers undergraduate courses in the following subject areas:
    • School of Science: Chemistry, Environmental Science, Life Science, Mathematics, Ocean Science, Physics
    • School of Engineering: Aerospace Engineering, Biomolecular Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering (within Chemical Engineering), Environmental Engineering (within Civil Engineering), Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electronic Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Logistics Management, Mechanical Engineering
    • School of Business and Management:Accounting, Economics, Finance, Global Business, Information Systems, Business Statistics and Operations Management, Management, Marketing
    • School of Humanities and Social Science: Humanities, Language, Social Science
    • Interdisciplinary/Others:Entrepreneurship, Environment, Risk Management and Business Intelligence, Technology and Management
    • Course offering will vary from term to term. You can take reference from the HKUST Course Catalog. Make sure to scroll down to the bottom for reference codes.
    • Undergraduate exchange students are guaranteed accommodation in university-provided housing, subject to your submission of the housing application. You will be assigned to a double (or a triple room with double occupation) in a student hall for the program duration. Please click here for more information.
    Estimated Cost of Living
    • Scroll down to Program Costs for a breakdown of estimated costs of living while on exchange at HKUST.
    • You are required to purchase travel insurance through HKUST that covers the duration of your study. The policy provides for the coverage listed below. Details about the policy are available here.
    • Medical and hospitalization for illnesses and accidents
    • Personal liability
    • Medical evacuation and repatriation
    • Students who fail to comply with the insurance requirements will not be able to officially register at HKUST.

    City University Hong Kong

    University Name
    • City University Hong Kong
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Semester A: September – End of November
    • Semester B: January – April
    • Summer Term: June – July
    • For more specific dates, please have a look at the CityU Academic Calendar
    Application Process
    • Please see the Application Procedures and Period section for further information. Please note, you can only apply online to CityU, once you have been nominated on exchange by Trinity.
    Course Load
    • Please note that exchange students are required to take a minimum of 12 credit units of CityU courses for Semester A or B, or a minimum of 6-7 credit units for the Summer Term, and enrol as a full-time student, to meet the requirement of the Hong Kong Immigration Department for visa issuance.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options Accommodation
    • As an exchange student, you may apply for on-campus student residence. Applications should be made online when you apply for your exchange studies. Please note that there is no guarantee of accommodation in the student residence because of limited capacity.
    • Exchange students should be prepared to arrange their own off-campus accommodation, if necessary.
    • There is a health centre on campus that provides primary medical care to staff and students. As an exchange student, you are eligible to use the Centre's services at a charge. However, as medical expenses can be quite high in Hong Kong, exchange students are required by CityU's policies to have medical and travel insurance coverage during their stay at the University. Please visit (Click on 'Incoming Exchange Students' -> 'Health & Insurance') for details.
    Estimated Costs of Living
    • CityU waives the tuition fee for exchange students, but they are required to pay all tuition and study-related fees levied by their home institutions. Exchange students are also responsible for financing their travel, accommodation and other living expenses as well as visa, insurance, books and other study-related expenses.
    • In terms of on-Campus accommodation, for undergraduate halls, the residence fees vary according to the room type. The residence fees are subject to annual review. Please refer to the website of the Student Residence Office for details.
    • Living costs will vary depending on individual lifestyle expectations. A basic student budget is estimated to be HK$4,500 (per month) including meals, transport, laundry and education expenses for books and stationery. This amount can vary depending on lifestyle choices.


    Ashoka University

    University Name
    • Ashoka University
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Autumn term: Mid-August to mid-December
    • Spring term: Mid-January to early May
    • You can consult exact dates in the Academic Calendar
    Application Process Course Availability and Restrictions
    • To find out more about available modules for visiting students please get in touch with the study abroad office at
    • You can peruse the course catalogue to see what modules are available
    Additional Notes
    • Students interested in attending Ashoka University for an exchange will have to get in touch with the University at and request further up to date information.
    • Ashoka University offers liberal arts style courses and programmes
    • Ashoka University is India′s largest collective philanthropic initiative and is located in the Rajiv Ghandi Education City
    • It is mandatory for all students to say in Ashoka University accommodation.

    O.P. Jindal Global University

    University Name
    • O.P. Jindal Global University
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Autumn Semester: Early August to early December
    • Spring Semester: Early February to early June
    • Refer to the Academic Calendar for further info on dates.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options Additional Notes
    • Students interested in attending OP Jindal for their exchange should get in touch with the international office by submitting a request through
    • JGU is located on a 80-acre residential campus in the National Capital Region (NCR) of Delhi
    • O P Jindal is considered #751-800 in the world by QS Rankings 2019.
    Accommodation Insurance
    • Students should find their own Health Insurance for their time in O P Jindal.


    Tokyo University

    University Name
    • Tokyo University
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • S Semester: April – August
    • A Semester: September – March
    • Refer to the Academic Calendar for the full dates:
    • Please note, the Student Mobility Officer is currently in touch with UTokyo to clarify whether Semester S constitutes as a full-year exchange - once confirmed this information will be updated accordingly.
    Application Process Course Load
    • At UTokyo, courses worth 2 credits consist of 13 weeks of 105-minute classes.
    • Students are required to register for minimum of six classes per week during their stay (this is a Japanese legal requirement). At least one of the classes must be a non-language class.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • The language of instruction in "Japanese/English" indicates that the course is taught in both languages. Therefore, proficiency in both languages is required. If you do not fulfil the Japanese language requirements, please look for exclusively English language courses.
    • Refer to the undergraduate (u) course catalogue for details on course availability.
    • Undergraduate exchange students are eligible to register for Japanese Language Education courses.
      Further information about the courses are available on the following websites:
      Hongo Campus JLCSE
      Komaba Campus Global Komaba
    Restrictions to Study
    • Students interested in taking seminars offered in “Japanese” and “Japanese and English” at the Faculty of Law are allowed to apply for only one seminar course per semester. Further information will be provided to those who have been successfully accepted to study at UTokyo. There is no restriction as to the number of courses you can take for seminars if you wish to apply for seminars that are noted as instructed in “English.”
    • In principle, Type U students are not allowed to participate in practical work (e.g. laboratory work, design studio work etc.)
    Additional Notes
    • UTokyo is constantly ranked #1 in Japan. It is currently positioned as #22 in the world.
    • Tokyo has been voted one of the most liveable cities in 2019.
    • There are two main campuses—Hongo and Komaba—and it takes about one hour by public transportation between the two. Because of this UTokyo recommends that students select most courses at one of the campuses. However, this does not mean students are not allowed to choose courses on the other campus.
    • A Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) Scholarship for all students who meet the requirements as well as scholarships from private foundations may be available. For further information, please refer to the Exchange handbook
    • Exchange students may apply for university housing. However, because of the limited number of facilities, housing cannot be guaranteed. The International Exchange Group at UTokyo will contact students with details about housing applications after their admission is granted. For further information, please visit the Housing Office website
    Insurance Estimated Cost of Living

    University of Kyoto

    University Name
    • University of Kyoto
    Website(s) Semester Dates Application
    • Refer to these guidelines for further information on applications.
    Course Load
    • Students are required to register for at least six courses per semester (without counting the Japanese language classes mentioned below), mostly from the Institute for Liberal Arts and Sciences (ILAS). Of the required six, up to two may be taken from other Faculties, including those taught in Japanese, subject to approval from the lecturers in charge.
    • Each course usually comprises two hours of lecture time per week and carries two credits.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • Most of the Faculty and Graduate School courses are conducted in Japanese, requiring a certain level of language proficiency. Student’s that do not have Japanese language proficiency should refer to ILAS courses taught through English.
    • You can find the courses taught through ILAS in English here. Note that this is updated every semester and is subject to change.
    • ILAS has an ample course catalogue taught through English, particularly in the areas of environmental studies, physics, economics, politics, and social studies. Some of the subjects covered offer a fresh perspective on Japan, while others address topical global problems
    • In order to enrol in regular, Japanese-taught courses, a Japanese proficiency level equivalent to N1 of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) is desirable.
    • ILAS offers Japanese-language learning courses on three levels (elementary, intermediate, and advanced). Placement is made based on an online test to be taken before enrolment. Some of these courses are credited, while others are not. It is highly recommended students enrol in a Japanese-language course even if all their courses are taught through English.
    Restrictions to Study
    • Medicine:
    • Exchange students cannot enrol to courses in the School of Medicine.
    • International students who will be enrolled at Kyoto University within less than a year of their arrival in Japan are eligible to apply for a room in the Kyoto University International House. The application periods are January and July (three months prior to move-in). The tenancy period is either one year or six months (no-extendable in either case). To apply, please contact your faculty/graduate school office. For further information on Kyoto University International Houses, please refer to the following website:
    Additional Notes
    • Kyoto University has two types of exchange programs: (1) the Kyoto University International Education Program (KUINEP) and (2) the Kyoto University General Exchange Program. The KUINEP(1) provides undergraduate-level lectures in English to mixed classes composed of exchange students from partner universities and domestic Kyoto University students. The General Exchange Program(2) is the program in which students take ordinary courses which are taught in Japanese in undergraduate faculties or in graduate schools each student is affiliated.
    • You can find more information here:
    • Some Exchange students might be eligible to apply for the JASSO Scholarship, a highly competitive scholarship that supports international students, further information can be found here:
      Note that the selection processes are highly competitive, however, and in most cases applications are accepted only after matriculation. It is therefore advisable that students secure sufficient financial resources.
    • Kyoto University is ranked #33 in the world and #2 in Japan
    • Kyoto is famous for its numerous classical Buddhist temples, as well as gardens, imperial palaces, Shinto shrines and traditional wooden houses.
    Accommodation Insurance
    • Japanese law stipulates that all students studying at Japanese universities for more than three months must enroll in the country's National Health Insurance (NHI) program, which costs around 2,000 yen per month.
    • When entering Kyoto University, students must also join the University CO-OP Personal Liability Insurance for Students (Gakubai) and the Personal Accident Insurance for Students while Pursuing Education and Research (Gakkensai). Gakubai requires an annual payment of around 2,000 yen, and Gakkensai, 1,000 yen. To enroll in Gakubai, students must first join the CO-OP by paying a 4,000-yen membership fee, which is fully refundable upon deregistration.
    • It is recommended that international students purchase travel insurance in their home countries, in addition to enrolling in all of the above, in order to ensure adequate coverage.
    Estimated Costs of Living

    Waseda University

    University Name
    • Waseda University
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Spring Semester: Late March to early August
    • Fall Semester: Early September to early February
    • Please note that each semester at Waseda is further divided into two terms:
  • Please also note that there is also a two month holiday from early February to the end of March.
  • For a list of all public, national and academic holidays (and Orientation dates) please refer to the Waseda Academic Calendar and Timetable
  • Application Process
    • Please refer to the Application Website for an overview of requirements, processes and timelines. Note that the first step is to be nominated by Trinity.
    Course Load
    • Students are encouraged to take approx. 7 courses (≒ 10 hours) per week unless otherwise specified. Please refer to each school’s policy and discuss with your academic coordinator.
    • Students may earn 2 credits for a lecture-style course (90mins x15) and 1 credit for a Japanese language course (90mins x15) offered by Center for Japanese Language (CJL) unless otherwise specified. Please refer to the syllabus for further information.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • For a list of subjects that can be studied at Waseda please refer to the following link: and scroll down to 'Undergraduate (English-Based Program)'. You will be able to see all your study options listed by Faculty.
    • Please note that the modules listed can be changed for next AY so find some alternative options that would suit your TCD requirements. Some courses may be allocated to students through a lottery procedure when the number of applicants exceeds capacity.
    • Most programs allow students to take University-wide open courses, but restrictions may apply.
      For further information refer to the University-wide open courses section here:
    Restrictions to Study
    • Some compulsory courses for degree students (usually seminars) are not available for exchange students
    • Students who do not have Japanese-language proficiency can only enrol to the departments listed in the course availability and enrolment options, therefore if there is no suitable equivalent to your course that both your TCD academic coordinator agrees with and you fulfil all pre-requisites you are not eligible to apply.
    • JASSO Scholarship: Waseda exchange students are eligible to apply for the JASSO (Japanese Government Overseas Scholarship Organisation) Student Exchange Support Programme Scholarship. Scholarships are valued at 80,000 yen per month.
    • MEXT Scholarship: Japan’s Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) is accepting applications for government sponsored scholarships for foreign students studying Japanese language and culture in Japanese universities. Students planning to enter Waseda’s Japanese Language Program (JLP) are eligible applicants for this grant, but the recommendation of their home university is required. The scholarship has a duration of eleven months, valued at 117,000 yen per month (tentative) and includes travel expenses one round trip.
    • For more information on both scholarships, please see the following link:
    Additional Notes
    • Waseda is based in Central Tokyo, one of the most liveable cities in the world.
    • Tokyo has the world’s best public transport and the most Michelin star restaurants in the world.
    • Why Waseda? Let them do the talking!
    Accommodation Estimated Costs of Living
    • Please refer to the Exchange Handbook for further information on an expected cost of living.
    • It is essential to take out travel insurance before coming to Japan.
    • In addition, it is compulsory to join Japan’s national health insurance. The amount of the premium you pay varies depending on city or insurance company; however the average price is 1,500 yen per month.
    • Furthermore, Waseda University advise taking out optional vehicle liability insurance in case of accidents. More information will be provided at the general orientation.
    Additional Information
    • Foreign students who remain in Japan for more than three months must register for the National Health Insurance or Kokumin Kenkou Hoken at the National Health Insurance Section of the municipal office where they have obtained their Foreign Resident Registration Certificates.
    • Students will also have to procure travel insurance for their time in Japan.

    New Zealand

    University of Auckland

    University Name
    • University of Auckland